Thyme essential oil
The beneficial properties of thyme has been known for many years. The oil of this plant is versatile. It is best known for its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It also relieves pain and acts as an expectorant. Thanks to this, the use of thyme oil during illness helps to shorten its duration and significantly reduce ailments. But that’s not all – pure thyme essential oil has a much wider range of uses.
Thyme – a plant with scientifically proven antiviral properties!
Thyme oil was a commonly used remedy in folk medicine. Today, it is still very popular and is often used not only as an auxiliary in the treatment of bacterial and viral infections, but even instead of pharmacological agents. Its antiviral effect has been proven through tests carried out under controlled conditions:
- at a concentration of 0.3%, thyme essential oil inhibits the growth of the H1N1 type A virus in 100%. Type A virus belongs to the viruses responsible for the so-called flu season.
- is active against HSV-1
- it is active against HSV-2 virus
One of the ingredients of thyme oil is thymol, which has been identified as an agent against influenza A and parainfluenza type 3.
Thyme oil: antibacterial and antifungal
However, the antiviral effect of thyme oil is not enough. In addition, it also has anti-bacterial properties. This effect has also been confirmed in the course of research. Thyme oil is effective against:
- pathogens – Streptococcus pyogenes, Streptococcus mutans, Candida albicans, Porphyromonas gingivalis, Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans – causing oral diseases
- Candida albicans and Candida glabrata fungi
- bacteriom – Bacillus cereus, Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Streptococcus faecalis, Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Proteus vulgaris, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Salmonella typhi Ty2
- bacteria – E. faecalis, P. aeruginosa
Thyme essential oil and COVID-19
All the properties of thyme oil known so far gave hope that it will also be helpful in the treatment of COVID-19. Preliminary studies show that thymol and carvacrol – one of the constituents of thyme oil – have the greatest potential in treating people infected with SARS-CoV-2.Research conducted at the Medical University of Zanjan has confirmed the great potential of thyme essential oil in treating COVID-19 patients.Thyme oil and upper respiratory tract infectionsThyme essential oil is also helpful in treating upper respiratory tract infections. Studies in this regard were carried out on mice, and their results confirm that it reduces the inflammatory reactivity of the respiratory tract.
Properties of thyme oil on skin and hair
The properties of thyme oil are not limited to alleviating the course of infections. The oil of this plant is also quite commonly used to alleviate various skin ailments. How can you use thyme oil to care for problem skin?The antiseptic effect of thyme oil is invaluable in the treatment of abscesses, acne, burns, as well as carbanilum, eczema, ulcers and cellulite. The oil is also perfect for the care of oily skin.In addition, thyme oil has the following effects:
- antibacterial against acne-related pathogens such as S. epidermidis or P. acnes
- against gram-negative pathogens associated with skin diseases such as E. coli
- against dermatophytes such as T. erinacei, T. mentagrophytes, T. rubrum, T. schoenleinii, T. tonsurans, T. mentagrophytes, T. tonsurans, T. rubrum, E. floccosum, M. canis.
Other properties of thyme oil
The use of thyme essential oil is as wide as its properties. In addition to its antiseptic, antiviral and antifungal properties, the oil of this plant works:
- stimulates the heart activity and the respiratory center;
- expectorates – it thins the mucus in the respiratory tract, as well
- relaxes the trachea and bronchi.
In addition, thyme oil has an effective analgesic effect and is helpful in the treatment of muscle and joint pain, as well as neuralgia. It should be rubbed into sore spots in a diluted form. It can also be used to rinse the throat and mouth for disinfection purposes.
Store the product in its original packaging, in a cool and dark place, away from direct access to light.
How to use our packaging?
The oil can be withdrawn with a pipette or syringe after unscrewing the bottle or with a syringe through the membrane. The membrane method provides greater sterility in use. Due to the too high risk of a reaction with plastic, the bottle does not contain a dropper.
How to use our essential oils?
We offer you extremely strong chemical substances of plant origin, so in order to avoid irritation, use them carefully and after appropriate dilution. The most popular methods of using oils are:
- inhalations – add a few drops to a bowl with hot water or an inhaler and inhale water vapor with active substances
- baths – depending on the oil, add a few drops to the water and take a therapeutic bath
- massages – rub the oil after diluting it in the base oil in appropriate proportions depending on the oil
Each of our oils can be used in a dozen or so other ways, we encourage you to read the specialist literature on aromatherapy, for sure everyone will find an application suitable for their body and ailments.
The uniqueness of our essential oils is primarily influenced by the fact that we control the entire production process – from the moment of growing and purchasing the raw material, to testing, packaging and distribution of finished products. For almost 30 years we have been buying herbs all over the country, which means that we have extremely valuable experience in this field. We know where to obtain and what raw material to obtain, so as to provide consumers with the best quality product possible. Another important aspect is that we have our own technologically advanced production facility where we distill our essential oils. After each batch is manufactured, it is time to carefully examine it and evaluate its quality.The result of our 30 years of activity on the herbal raw materials market is our well-equipped laboratory with an experienced team of experts. Thanks to this, we conduct research on our essential oils, the most important of which is gas chromatography [GC-MS]. You can read more about the quality of our oils in the “Essential oils” tab.
- Essential Oils as Antiviral Agents, Potential of Essential Oils to Treat SARS-CoV-2 Infection: An In-Silico Investigation
- Types of Influenza Viruses
- Susceptibility of Drug-Resistant Clinical Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 Strains to Essential Oils of Ginger, Thyme, Hyssop, and Sandalwood
- Inhibitory effect of essential oils against herpes simplex virus type 2
- Effect of Clove and Thyme Essential Oils on Candida Biofilm Formation and the Oil Distribution in Yeast Cells
- In Vitro Antimicrobial Activity of Thymus vulgaris Essential Oil Against Major Oral Pathogens
- Investigation of the Antifungal Activity and Mode of Action of Thymus vulgaris, Citrus limonum, Pelargonium graveolens, Cinnamomum cassia, Ocimum basilicum, and Eugenia caryophyllus Essential Oils
- Studies on Chemical Composition, Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Activities of Five Thymus vulgaris L. Essential Oils
- An updated and comprehensive review of the antiviral potential of essential oils and their chemical constituents with special focus on their mechanism of action against various influenza and coronaviruses
- Antifungal Activity of Thymus vulgaris L. Essential Oil and Its Constituent Phytochemicals against Rhizopus oryzae: Interaction with Ergosterol
- Commercial Essential Oils as Potential Antimicrobials to Treat Skin Diseases
- COVID-19 and therapy with essential oils having antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and immunomodulatory properties
- Therapeutic Effect of Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Essential Oil on Patients with COVID19: A Randomized Clinical Trial
- Effects of Thymus vulgaris L., Cinnamomum verum J.Presl and Cymbopogon nardus (L.) Rendle Essential Oils in the Endotoxin-induced Acute Airway Inflammation Mouse Model
DANGER Contains: thymol, p-mentha-1,4-diene, p-mentha-1,3-diene, linalool, pin-2 (3) -ene, 1-octene-3-ol, caryophyllene, 5-isopropyl-2 -methylbicyclo [3.1.0] hex-2-ene, p-mentha-1-en-4-ol, pin-2 (10) -ene, cineole, d-limonene.Flammable liquid and vapor. Harmful if swallowed. Causes severe skin burns and eye damage. May cause an allergic skin reaction. Suspected of damaging fertility or the unborn child. Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.Keep away from children. Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. Do not smoke. Do not inhale vapors / spray. Avoid release to the environment. Use protective gloves / protective clothing / eye protection. Immediately call a POISON CENTER / doctor. Dispose of contents / container to properly labeled waste containers in accordance with national regulations.